In 1956, Bishop Plumey of Garoua (Nord Cameroon) appealed for Sisters, Daughters of Angélique Le Sourd. At that time, North Cameroon was one of the poorest regions of the world.
Arrival of the first Sisters in Fignolé :
The Sisters arrived in Fignolé, North Cameroon, on December 29th 1956. They embarked on the “General Mangin” in Marseille, on the preceding November 29th. They arrived in Douala on December 18th, then their first flight towards Ngaoundéré, where they are welcomed by the Daughters of Jesus from Kermaria. On December 26th, Bishop Yves Plumey met them to take them himself to Fignolé. He will do everything in his power to ensure the Sisters may be well installed.
Development of the Presence of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus :
A year later, in December 1957, the Sisters open a community in Poli. They are like the pioneer teachers and nurses. In October 1958, 4 Sisters arrive at the mission of “Garoua-Cathedral” where their commitment is the teaching of young women and sewing.
In 1961, they settle in the Extreme North : in the dioceses of Maroua and Yagoua.
The need of training teachers is felt in the dioceses of Garoua and Ngaoundéré, so a community is opened in Ngaoundéré to extend over the 2 dioceses.
In 1966, to answer the appeal of Bishop of Pala (Tchad) they open 4 communities.
Welcome of native vocations :
In the year 1978, young Cameroonians ask to know the Sisters better. A students ‘ hostel is founded to help them in intellectual formation and discernment of their vocation.
Thirty years later :
Today, the Region of Cameroon has 11 Cameroonians, 2 Tchadians, 2 Malagassy and 3 French Sisters. In faithfulness to the original intuition, as n°4 from the “Book of Life” underlines it : “ we work to promote the development of persons through education, care of the sick, other social and pastoral activities.”
Where can we meet the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in their mission today ?
With the children in primary school and their families, having at heart the education to Christian and human values.
At the woman centre : beside marginalized young girls and women, non-schooled, some sent married without their consent, for helping them to dare to speak and exist as women.
Near the sick, many are effected by AIDS or tuberculosis : in the hospital, health centre or in prison.
“In the hospital as well as in prison, the presence of our associated friends, is an indispensable support for our actions. They contribute to the preparation of meals for prisoners and hospitalized destitutes. In priority, they visit the most neglected.
In the accompaniment of Christian families, for catechesis of children, young and adults.
In children and youth movements, in the Catholic Action called “ Cop’monde.”
In lively ecclesial communities (LEC) of the neighbourhoods to share the Word of God and daily life. “Christians and Muslims sit together when it comes to dialogue on a decision to be taken about the life for the neighbourhood.
In groups which search and fight against the roots of evil : “Justice and Peace”, “Faith and Justice” , “CELPRO” : association to protect people involved in mine labour or their victims.
The Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus are also present in various trainings at the Centre of John Paul II, in Garoua.
First missionary flight abroad :
At the end of December 2011, Sister Annie-Aurore joins the Region of Madagascar to live the mission “Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus” through her teacher’s profession. An adventure which involves all the Region.
“In this world that looses its points of reference and let itself keep up with the fashion, the presence at home opens ways of listening and welcome. People like coming and to sit down to “Boukarou”, purely and simply to chat with the Sisters.